Sunday, February 7, 2010

Week 3 - Surprise - Full steam Ahead



Today we baked delicious dinner rolls and the beloved French bread. So we followed the 12 step process for Lean dough using the straight method - meaning all ingredients mixed together. Then add water after scaling when mixed. As we learned last week, the Maillard reaction is the carmelization of sugar while the bread is baking . This gives it that beautiful brown color that lures us into buying more bread. Since we made a scaling error last week we were very cautious to clearly read, understand and scale our formula correctly.

Success for Team France because we completed the forumla correctly and had beautiful French bread this week. However, during the 8th step, make-up and panning. I didn't roll out the French bread with perfect technique. It was thin in the middle and large on the two ends. So after baking, it looked like a big dog bone. It was delicious, but I must work on my rolling technique.
Side note for you home bakers: commerical ovens release steam while bread is baking to allow the bread not to form a crust too early before it it baked. So at home place a tray of ice cubes in the oven below your bread to mimic this process.

Chef Colley demonstrated a foccacia bread that was simply divine. He has over forty years of experience and made it look simple. I truly believe that if you suround yourself with people who have exceptional skills that you too will challenge yourself to rise to the occasion. We see it in sports everyday. Bravo Chef, I'm going to make this foccacia bread for a volunteer dinner that I'm cooking in the next few weeks so I will keep you posted on how I make out.
We also covered dinner rolls and used a machine called an Oliver that would cut a batch of 36 rolls at one time. So in a large grocery store or restaraunt you could crank out a large volume in a short period.

White Bread & Roll Dough Dough - Formula


Oven Temperture: 370 degrees for roll



Baking time: 12-14 minutes for rolls
20 -25 minutes for loaf


Ingredients:

Bread Flour 2 lbs 6 oz

Milk Powder 3/4 oz if using milk subract half pint from water

Sugar Granulated 3 oz

Salt 3/4 oz

shortening AP 3oz

water 1 pt 5 oz

yeast instant 3/4 oz


Make straight dough
sesame seed or poppy seed to taste

I surprized myself with a talent I didn't know I had. The dinner rolls we made were rolled into a straight line of dough then twisted or braided to form a dinner roll. Surprise! I watched it once and just twisted the bread together. I didn't think too hard and made some pretty nice looking dinner rolls.

Until next week...goodnight and goodbaking.


No comments:

Post a Comment