Monday, April 5, 2010

week - 11 if your in a hurry it's time to stop and smell the roses








Today, I was up for the challenge of decorating the cake that I made last week. I believe the word challenge should be used loosely. All of this was new, extremely difficult and fun to learn.


Prior to this task, Chef demo'd the classic butter cream, cream cheese frosting and various piping techniques. We also covered frosting for a German chocolate cake from Texas and a Yule log for the holidays.

We had a lot of demos today which are wonderful and a good way to learn. I enjoy demos for baking and cooking especially from individuals who have more work experience than my own age. It allows me to grow and learn as a student of life and as a commercial baker.

The biggest disappointment/failure was in myself today. It was difficult for me to perform to the best of my abilities today due to the simple fact that everyone, except a few, wanted to rush and get out the door as quickly as possible. I allowed this to affect me. I love baking, food and talking about different techniques which is why I’m enrolled in this college to learn. So to turn a negative into a positive, I have enrolled in a Wilton cake decorating class at Michael’s to master “the rose”.

Next week on the menu:
Dessert Pastries/ Eclairs

No comments:

Post a Comment